Skip to main content

Bryan, Texas Child Custody and Support Modification Attorney

Life happens. Situations change, people move, parents remarry, children develop health problems. Court orders and parenting plans may seem final when you first agree to them, but the truth is that’s not always the case.

At C.E. Borman, we’ve been helping families in Bryan and throughout Texas through divorce and child custody cases for decades, so we know how unpredictable life can be. That’s why we’re committed to helping our clients modify court orders for custody arrangements or support payments.

Divorce is Tough. We’re Tougher.

Our Bryan Child Custody and Support Modification Services

In order to modify a child custody or support court order, you will have to prove one of the following:

  • There has been a material and substantial change in the child or parent’s circumstances
  • A child at least 12 years old has expressed a preference about their primary residence
  • The custodial parent has voluntarily relinquished custody

Most child custody modification requests are based on the first ground. But you will need an experienced family law attorney to make the case to the court that a material and substantial change has occurred.

Below are some of the most common circumstances we’ve seen in which a judge will consider modification:

  • A parent moves a great distance away, especially if they move out-of-state
  • One or both parents remarry
  • The child experiences extreme health issues
  • A parent fails to provide the child with proper daily care or supervision
  • One parent alienates the child from the other parent
  • Extreme moral misconduct makes a parent unfit
  • A parent is convicted of a crime
  • A parent seriously abuses or neglects the child
  • A parent becomes involved in drug or alcohol abuse
  • Domestic violence becomes an issue

In our experience, the judge will typically view these situations as a “material and substantial change” to your child’s circumstances.

However, just because one of these situations occurs doesn’t mean that a judge will automatically grant a modification request. It’s our job to prove that the changes have negatively impacted your child, and that modifying the current order is in their best interest.

What Our Bryan Modification Clients Say

Our Bryan Child Custody and Support Modification Case Process


Call 979-200-4725


We’ll learn more about your situation and discuss your options for moving forward.


Together, we’ll get to work resolving your issues – representing you through mediation and, if necessary, in court.

Frequently Asked Questions

Under what circumstances can child custody arrangements be modified in Texas?

Child custody arrangements can be modified if there has been a material and substantial change in the child or parent’s circumstances, such as a parent’s relocation, changes in the child’s needs, or instances of parental misconduct.

How do I request a modification of child custody or support orders?

To request a modification, you typically need to file a petition with the court outlining the reasons for the change and providing evidence supporting your request, after which a hearing will be scheduled to review the case. An experienced family lawyer can help with this process.

What factors are considered in child custody modification hearings?

Courts consider factors such as the child’s best interests, the reasons for the requested modification, the parents’ abilities to care for the child, and any relevant evidence presented during the hearing.

Can child support orders be modified?

Yes, child support orders can also be modified. For example, job loss or change can result in a decrease in income, impacting your ability to pay. Just as with child custody modifications, you will have to prove that there has been a substantial change in circumstances and that the modification will be in the child’s best interest.

How long does it take to obtain a modification of child custody or support orders?

The timeframe for obtaining a modification varies depending on the complexity of the case, court schedules, and other factors, but it typically takes several weeks to months. The process involves filing the petition, attending a hearing, and awaiting the court’s decision.

Contact C.E. Borman today

You can’t prevent big life changes from happening. But with C.E. Borman in your corner, you can be sure that they won’t prevent you from having the custody arrangement you and your child need. Contact our Bryan, Texas office today to schedule a consultation and discuss your case.

Skip to content