AdoptionsDivorceWhat Happens To Adoption During Divorce in Texas?

January 10, 2023

Have couples pursued adoption during divorce in Texas? Yes, it has happened that during the process of adopting a child, a couple decides that their marriage is irreconcilable and file for divorce. You might assume that divorce signals the end of adoption. In some cases it may, but not in all cases.

Texas Family Code on Adoption During Divorce

The Texas Family Code states that if the couple petitioning for adoption divorce, the court abates the suit for adoption and dismisses the petition. The exception is when one of the original petitioners amends the petition. An example would be that the wife still wants to adopt the child and has her attorney amend the petition so that just she is requesting to adopt the child.

Different Types of Adoption Situations in Texas

During any adoption, if the biological parents are still living, the court must terminate their paternal rights before adoption can occur. In a consensual adoption, they agree to relinquish their rights. Sometimes a biological parent agrees to have a couple adopt the child but divorce changes that decision. If the parent had not yet relinquished parental rights, the parent could decide to not go through with the adoption.

When parents’ rights have already been terminated due to a foster care situation, then the parents don’t have the right to contest adoption. When a couple decides to divorce and one parent petitions to continue adoption it’s up to the court to decide. Courts rule based on the child’s best interests and can dismiss adoption proceedings if it’s not best for the child.

Stepparents often adopt their spouse’s children. However, courts require that the stepparent to be married first, and they can’t be married until a divorce is finalized.

Seek Legal Help for Adoption in Texas

If you have questions about divorce and/or adoption, our attorneys at C.E. Borman & Associates are glad to answer your questions and provide you with legal advice.

CE Borman Better Business Bureau | Family law attorney bryan texas
top 10 family law firm texas 2022 - CE Borman Attorney Channa Borman
american association of attorney advocates - top ranking attorney - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
top 10 family law attorney texas - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
american association of attorney advocates - top ranking texas attorney - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
top 10 family law female attorney in texas - attorney channa borman
CE Borman & Associates logo - Attorney Channa Borman Bryan Texas family law
1200 Briarcrest Dr, Suite 2000 Bryan, Texas 77802

Follow Us:


Handling cases with the utmost competence and care. Make the right choice. Choose C.E. Borman & Associates.

C.E. BORMAN & ASSOCIATES ©  2023 | All Rights Reserved | Website and SEO by Strike First Digital Law

avvo logo - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
BBB accredited business - CE Borman family law texas- Attorney Channa Borman
legal reach logo - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
avvo logo - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman

The information located on this website is for informational and marketing purposes only and may not be completely up to date. It is not or intended to be legal advice. We recommend seeking professional legal help in your respective state for questions and concerns about your specific circumstances. You may contact us regarding a consultation, but that does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. C.E. Borman & Associates expressly disclaims all liability for any actions viewers take or do not take from this website.

Skip to content