DivorceHow To Get A Divorce In Texas When The Other Person Doesn’t Want To

February 22, 2022

A divorce is often emotionally draining, especially when you are constantly arguing with your partner. It’s hard enough when both people have decided to end the relationship, however, it’s even more stressful when one person does not agree to the divorce. If this is the case, how do you get a divorce in Texas when the other person doesn’t want to.

There can be several reasons why your spouse will refuse to divorce you:

  • They genuinely don’t want the marriage to end
  • Your spouse wants to make things difficult for you
  • They believe that refusing to sign the decree means the divorce will not happen
  • Your spouse is holding things up to have leverage over you

So what do you do when you want a divorce, and your spouse refuses? Do you try to reason with them? Does every conversation you try to have with them now turn into a fight?

Even though your soon-to-be-ex will not sign off on your divorce, it doesn’t mean you can’t go ahead with filing for a divorce. In Texas, you don’t have to first legally separate. Your spouse will most likely contest the divorce, however because of the divorce laws in Texas, the divorce will eventually happen.

Choosing to work with an experienced Texas divorce attorney will help you navigate this complicated process.

How to Proceed with the Divorce

You and your Texas family law attorney can do things to obtain the divorce, even when the other person refuses to acknowledge this is happening. There are options to choose from:

1. Mediation

Mediation is a good option if you think you and your spouse can eventually come to some sort of agreement. A mediator will help you both navigate your marital issues. It’s a good idea to have a third party help you both navigate through this difficult time. It is even an option to speak with your divorce attorney who can give you advice on the best way to set up a mediation with a spouse who does not want a divorce. 

2. Request a Default Judgment

According to TexasLawHelp.org:  “A default judgment is a court order made without the respondent because the respondent was served but did not file an answer by the deadline. Or the respondent filed an answer and was given notice of a hearing but did not show up for the hearing.”

Working with a divorce attorney is most certainly in your best interest. Your attorney can help you gather all your documents, such as financial information, property, and anything else your lawyer tells you to have.

This article can further help you organize what documents you need to prepare for your divorce.

Your attorney and you may file a Petition of Dissolution of Marriage with the courts. You will use a process server to serve the papers to your spouse. In Texas, you must wait at least 60 days after the filing date before asking for a judgment. There may be several more court dates, but if your spouse still refuses to show, you can take the next step and proceed with the divorce.

3. Trial

Going to trial is the most costly and time-consuming option. This is when both parties agree to go before a judge. The courts will rule on your divorce and specify all aspects, including division of marital assets, alimony, child support, and child custody. But again, if your partner does not appear for trial, the court may issue a default judgment.

While it is possible to proceed with a divorce when your spouse doesn’t want to, it, unfortunately, will cost you time and money. However, if your ex-partner is still refusing to work with you, this is a strong example of why your marriage did not work.

Hire a Texas Divorce Attorney

Your spouse is already fighting you, do not enter this battle alone. Working with a Texas divorce attorney will help you navigate this challenging process. Our family law attorneys can guide you on the paperwork needed, what steps to take, and how to finalize your divorce. We are here to help and support you throughout this difficult process.

CE Borman Better Business Bureau | Family law attorney bryan texas
top 10 family law firm texas 2022 - CE Borman Attorney Channa Borman
american association of attorney advocates - top ranking attorney - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
top 10 family law attorney texas - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
american association of attorney advocates - top ranking texas attorney - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
top 10 family law female attorney in texas - attorney channa borman
CE Borman & Associates logo - Attorney Channa Borman Bryan Texas family law
1200 Briarcrest Dr, Suite 2000 Bryan, Texas 77802

Follow Us:


Handling cases with the utmost competence and care. Make the right choice. Choose C.E. Borman & Associates.

C.E. BORMAN & ASSOCIATES ©  2023 | All Rights Reserved | Website and SEO by Strike First Digital Law

avvo logo - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
BBB accredited business - CE Borman family law texas- Attorney Channa Borman
legal reach logo - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman
avvo logo - CE Borman - Attorney Channa Borman

The information located on this website is for informational and marketing purposes only and may not be completely up to date. It is not or intended to be legal advice. We recommend seeking professional legal help in your respective state for questions and concerns about your specific circumstances. You may contact us regarding a consultation, but that does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. C.E. Borman & Associates expressly disclaims all liability for any actions viewers take or do not take from this website.

Skip to content